Paper and Fiber Arts



Welcome to my mixed media blog. Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Stretched Canvas Shadow Box Made For Small Picture From The 1960's

Edited on 6/21/2012 - Reposted after having been removed for publication. 
3.5 " Square Photo From 1968
Even though this photo isn't all that spectacular, it is the only one I have from a family reunion at my grandparent's house. It was taken when I was five years old.  Traveling long distances back then was a big deal and seeing relatives that I did not really know, was a big deal to the adults in the photo.  Most of the cousins probably felt like I did at the time.  It was not that exciting.
But these are my relatives. There are not very many of us alive any longer and I now think it Is exciting to have a picture of that time and place!  So let's scrapbook it!

The picture is small.  It needed to feel more substantial, so I decided to make a shadow box out of a stretched canvas to 'bulk it up'.

Side View of Canvas
After scanning my old photographs, I am scrapbooking the originals.  I want to see the pictures the way that the person who took them saw them when they got them back from the developer.  Maybe this is weird, but I remember opening up the envelope with photos enclosed with such joyful anticipation. Did they turn out?  How many 'good ones' were there?  Did someone have their eyes closed?  Or make a funny expression right when the shutter clicked?  Sorry for the digression.  Back to the layout...
8 x 8 Canvas
To make the shadow box, I flipped the canvas over and used the back, inside opening.  I hope to make a tutorial about this later this week to show how it was assembled.  All the papers are from Close To My Heart's Florentine packet plus an extra piece of Twilight and Olive card stock. These orange-y papers seemed to fit that time period really well. Most of the papers were cut with the Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge.  The flower was made with burlap (from Joann's) and linen (from  http://www.fabrics-store.com) and cut with Spellbinders dies.  The cute chipboard butterfly is from Studio Calico. That gorgeous ribbon is from May Arts.
Frame Shapes Cut With Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge
This was a lot of fun to make and I think it makes the photograph look more important.  The finished layout is about 10 1/2" across from point to point.  It will hang in our "hall of fame" in the basement with other family photographs.

Thank you so much for stopping by today!  I appreciate you taking the time to visit!
Hugs,
Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment