Paper and Fiber Arts



Welcome to my mixed media blog. Thanks for stopping by.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Cricut Art Philosophy 3-D Honeycomb Ornament

Christmas Ornament handcrafted from double sided paper

This gorgeous design was lifted from Becca Feeken who made an amazing tutorial using a Spellbinder diecut.  Her post is here.  She is an amazingly talented woman!  I am so happy that I discovered her blog a couple of months ago. 

The top view of the ornament
As soon as I saw Becca's video tutorial, I knew that I wanted to make something similar using one of the ornament shapes on the Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge.  This shape is 3".  By turning the mat around, 9 shapes will fit on one page.

12 x 12 Cricut mat with ornaments cut from retired B & T paper
Becca made a glue dot template and therefore I knew I needed to copy that step with my shape as well.  I used a scrap from the Cricut cut and guessed about where to place the dots.  It worked!


Gluedot placement for Ornament1 using Art Philosophy cartridge

 The design is listed on page 33 in the Cricut guide book that comes with the cartridge.  Two 12 x 12 sheets of paper were used to cut 18 identical shapes.

Two buttons were sewn onto ribbon from the CTMH  Bling Assortment
 The ribbon matches the retired Evensong B & T paper.  Any color of two-sided thin paper would work beautifully.  I am trying to use up my stash of papers and ribbons, so that is why I chose this patterned paper. The new CTMH paper is too thick for this type of ornament.  I'm making some other ornaments out of cardstock that I'll post soon.

Bottom view of Honeycomb Ornament
Thank you so much for visiting my blog!  Have a great day!
Beverly

2 comments:

  1. How gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for posting the instructions on how to make your beautiful ornaments!! Don't you just love the CTMH Cricut cartridge???
    You are very talented!!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the spellbinders one somewhere a few days ago (scs? pinterest? who knows!) and wondered if I could pull it off with an art philosophy or other cricut cart I already have instead of buying a die set just to do this. Thanks for trying it out for me! I bet if you use a gypsy or cricut craft room you could fit even more shapes on one page :)

    ReplyDelete