Paper and Fiber Arts



Welcome to my mixed media blog. Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Copic Journal With Mixed Media Cover

6" x 9" Covers Bound with 1" Cinch Wire
This completely utilitarian journal is something I've been meaning to put together for a long time.  However, I didn't have a cover made that felt right for me.  A couple of weeks ago, my sewing machine dealer had a virtual class using some techniques to decorate a t-shirt.  While watching the presentation, I realized that my Copic journal idea would be perfect with a non-marker-y cover.  Voila.  Problem solved.


Shiva Artist's Paintstik rubbed over rubber stamp. Gold letters are embroidered over the  design.
The base fabric is a heavy black cotton twill. The bottom half was rubbed with the copper oil paint stick and the top was with the silver.  The very graphic, clean-lined stamp worked great on the bottom.  The stamp that I selected for the top had too much detail to transfer well.  It is a good thing I was planning on learning how to do couching with the embroidery module of my machine, so it would cover up the mess I made on top!

Eyelash yarn couched down in a spiral  shape
Learning new techniques is always fun.  The process teaches me a lot about the tools, but also about myself.  I really don't like messy projects!  The oil paint stick thing had me a little nervous until I used them.  They aren't very messy.  And if I was a more patient person, it would probably have not been messy at all.

Art embroidered in black is hard to see in the corner
My purpose for this book is to keep a record of different inks and papers as I'm learning more about using Copics.  I tend to keep little scraps of papers as points of reference for future projects.  Sometimes the scraps make it into a notebook or folder, but too often they pile up until I don't really remember why I was keeping them - and then they are thrown away.  

CTMH Images Stamped with Memento Tuxedo ink on Cryogen White

Lists, labels, charts.  I love those things!  This will possibly explain the kind of personality that feels they need to have a book they've made to refer to as they are learning how to color.  I'll say it.  I'm a bit odd.  :-)

Papers cut down to 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
I purchased several different papers from a few different places.  Some of them came pre-labeled because they were sold as a sampler package.  Love that!

The covers are black chipboard.  The fabric cover was adhered to the chipboard with Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Multi -medium Matte.

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment.
Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment